Starbucks Rewards® Terms and Conditions
Updated: 1 April 2023
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY. BY ACCESSING OR USING THIS PROGRAMME, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS DESCRIBED HEREIN AND ALL TERMS INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THESE TERMS, YOU SHOULD NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROGRAMME.
These Terms and Conditions apply to your access to, and participation in, the Starbucks Rewards programme which in South Africa is operated by Rand Capital Coffee (Pty) Ltd trading as Starbucks South Africa.These Terms and Conditions do not alter in any way the terms or conditions of any other agreement you may have with Starbucks for products, services or otherwise. Starbucks reserves the right to change, modify and/or eliminate Starbucks Rewards and/or these Terms and Conditions or any policy, FAQ, or guideline pertaining to Starbucks Rewards at any time and in its sole discretion. Any changes or modifications will be effective immediately upon posting the revisions to www.starbucks.co.za and you waive any right you may have to receive specific notice of such changes or modifications. Your continued participation in Starbucks Rewards will confirm your acceptance of such changes or modifications; therefore, you should review these Terms and Conditions and applicable policies frequently to understand the terms and conditions that apply to Starbucks Rewards. If you do not agree to the amended terms, you must stop participating in Starbucks Rewards.
JOINING STARBUCKS® REWARDS
To join Starbucks® Rewards go to http://www.starbucks.co.za or to the Starbucks® South Africa mobile app (for Android™ or iPhone® device) (“App”) and follow the prompts to create an account. You will be required to provide the following information:
1. First and last name, email address, password and marketing preferences.
2. Birthday (month, day) is optional to receive birthday offers. If you do not provide birthday information you will not receive your Birthday Reward.
When you join Starbucks® Rewards, you are automatically provided with a digital membership barcode and can request a Starbucks Card with a zero South African Rand (R0.00) balance. You can add funds to your digital Starbucks Card either online at www.starbucks.co.za/account, through the App, or in-person at a participating Starbucks store. You can also register a physical Starbucks Card to your account by adding the 16 digit Starbucks Card number and security code. Starbucks Cards may include: physical Starbucks plastic cards that are available for sale from participating Starbucks stores. Multiple Starbucks Cards can be added for use in your Starbucks South Africa app to collect Starbucks® Rewards, but you may have only one (1) account that is personal to you.
The Rewards that are available to you through Starbucks® Rewards are based on the number of Stars that you earn. You can earn Stars by making purchases at participating Starbucks stores in the Republic of South Africa using a registered physical Starbucks Card or the Starbucks® South Africa app only.
• Paying for your purchase with a Starbucks Card. When you pay with your digital Starbucks Card in the App, you will earn 1 (one) Star for every R2 South African Rand you spend at participating stores. You will also earn 1 Star for every R2 South African Rand spent when you scan the barcode in the App, and then use any physical Starbucks Card (regardless of whether it is registered) to complete the purchase.
• Paying for your purchase with another Payment Method. You can link a credit card, debit card or mobile wallet to your account, and use it to pay directly for your order through the Starbucks® South Africa App. When you pay directly with a linked payment method, you will earn 1 (one) Star for every R2 South African Rand you spend at participating stores. Starbucks may add or remove available payment methods at any time in its sole discretion.
• Scan your Starbucks App (digital membership barcode) at the till and then pay with cash, credit card, debit card or mobile wallet. You can earn 1 (one) Stars for every R2 South African Rand you spend at participating Starbucks stores.
• Promotional Bonus Star Offers. From time to time, we, or others acting with our permission, may offer you opportunities to earn additional "Bonus Stars" through special promotions. These promotional Bonus Stars will be awarded as described in the applicable promotional offer and will be subject to any additional terms set forth in such promotional offer.
Note: Stars will be calculated and awarded to two decimal places (“Stardust”) to ensure that the full value of your transaction is recognized and credited to your Starbucks® Rewards account.
• There is no upper limit on the number of Stars that you can accrue. However, Starbucks reserves the right in its absolute discretion to impose a cap on Star accrual should it deem it necessary.
• You can view your full and current Star balance to two decimal places by logging into your Starbucks account here. However, when viewed in your Starbucks® South Africa app, your current Star balance will appear rounded-down to the nearest whole number on the home screen. The full balance, to two decimal places, will be tracked and accounted for on your Rewards screen in the Starbucks South Africa app or on your online account.
Unless otherwise noted, Stars are automatically added to your account within twenty-four (24) hours of your eligible purchase and each Star has an individual expiration date of two (2) years from the date awarded to your Starbucks account. If a Star is not exchanged for a designated programme benefit within two (2) years of its award, the Star will automatically expire and will be deducted from your account on the date of expiration. Where you redeem a Star(s) as part of a programme benefit, Starbucks will automatically redeem and deduct such Star(s) from your Starbucks account by using the Star(s) with the shortest period left until expiration first. Starbucks reserves the right at any time to adjust your Star balance where it has reason to suspect fraudulent activity.
There are two levels of benefits in Starbucks Rewards depending on the number of Stars that you accumulate in your account. By creating an account, you will be automatically enrolled in Starbucks Rewards at Green Level. Earn at least seven hundred and fifty (750) Stars within a twelve-month period following your enrolment date and you will proceed to Gold Level.
To maintain Gold Level benefits, you must earn at least seven hundred and fifty (750) new Stars during the twelve-month period following the date you reached Gold Level.
Opening an account automatically enters you into “Green Level” of Starbucks Rewards and entitles you to receive:
The ability to earn free drinks:
Once you have entered Green Level and earned two hundred and fifty Stars (250), you will have the option of redeeming those Stars for a free barista-prepared drink of your choice at participating SA Starbucks stores (“Reward Available”), with such Stars being deducted from your Starbucks account at the point of redemption. You will continue to accrue Stars with each purchase (one (1) Stars for each R2 spent) until you choose to exchange your Stars for a Free Drink or Food Reward (each additional accrual of 250 Stars will entitle you to a Free Drink or Food Reward). You must present your registered Starbucks Card or digital card to the barista at a participating SA Starbucks store in order to redeem your Reward.. You can also view and track your Stars on www.starbucks.co.za/account or in the ‘Transaction History’ section on the Starbucks SA mobile app.
When you have been awarded seven hundred and fifty (750) Stars within a consecutive 12-month period or less, your account will be upgraded to “Gold Level”. At Gold Level you will receive the following benefits on your account:
- All Green Level benefits (as listed above)
- Free selected syrups to add to your chosen beverage.
- Free selected toppings to add to your chosen beverage.
- Free Instore Refills of Brewed Coffee. Exclusive to drinks served in serve ware and consumed in our seating area in selected stores.
- The award of a coupon on your birthday, entitling you to a Free Drink Reward of your choice at participating SA Starbucks stores, valid for 30 days from the date of issue, at which point it will expire if not redeemed.
There are no membership fees associated with Starbucks Rewards. Stars or coupons accumulated under the programme have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash.
Your Stars, benefits, registered Starbucks Card(s), and your account under the Starbucks Rewards programme are personal to you and may not be sold, transferred, or assigned to, or shared with, family, friends, or others.
Starbucks Rewards benefits are available at participating South African stores and are subject to change. Starbucks reserves the right to terminate your account and/or your participation in Starbucks Rewards if Starbucks believes that you have violated these Terms and Conditions or that the use of your account is unauthorised, fraudulent, or otherwise unlawful or in violation of these Terms and Conditions.
Starbucks also reserves the right to “unregister” and make ineligible for the Starbucks Rewards programme any Starbucks Card that has been inactive for two consecutive years. Inactive is defined as no purchase activity.
Starbucks reserves the right to terminate, discontinue, cancel, or amend the Starbucks Rewards programme at any time and in its sole discretion without notice to you.
The above terms are governed by the laws of South Africa.