Effective Date: 21st June, 2021
We and others may use a variety of technologies to collect information about your device and use of our services. These technologies include cookies and web beacons:
Cookies – Cookies are small data files that are sent from a website's server and are stored on your device's hard drive either for only the duration of your visit ("session cookies") or for a fixed period of time ("persistent cookies"). Cookies contain information that can later be read by a web server. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to give you the choice to accept a cookie or reject cookies altogether. For more information about changing your browser settings, please see the section of this Statement titled, "Your Choices."
- Website Functionality – Some cookies (considered "strictly necessary") are required to allow you to access and use our websites. Without these cookies, our websites do not work properly.
- Performance Monitoring – Some cookies (considered "performance" cookies) help us analyze and estimate traffic on our website. They show us how visitors interact with our website, whether there are any errors, which pages are not used often, which pages take a long time to load, which pages users tend to visit and in what order. These cookies do not collect any information that could identify you and are only used to help us improve how our website works and understand user interests.
- User Convenience – Some cookies (considered "functionality" cookies) remember information to save you the trouble of entering information every time you visit or use a particular website. For example, a cookie may remember your username to save you time when you log in to your account.
- Marketing – Some cookies (considered "targeting or advertising" cookies) are used to tailor your experience on our website by controlling the promotions, advertisements and other marketing messages that may appear when you visit or use our website and help us learn which services you are using and how you are accessing information about us. We may use this information to personalize your visit to a website or to send you relevant promotions.
- Web Beacons – Web beacons are small, transparent images that are embedded in web pages, applications, and emails that are sometimes called "clear gifs," "single pixel gifs", "page tags" or "web bugs." We use web beacons to track the web pages you visit, to test the effectiveness of our marketing, and to find out if an email has been opened and acted on.
Promotional Communication Choices
You can opt out of receiving promotional emails, text messages, telephone calls, and mailings by informing us of your preference at the time you sign up for a Starbucks account, modifying your promotional preferences online in your account's profile management section, or adjusting your text and notification preferences in your mobile device's settings or by following the opt-out instructions in the promotional emails we send you.
Alternatively, you may let us know that you do not wish to receive some or all of these promotional communications by emailing us at [email protected].
Please note that if you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us, we may still send you non-promotional communications, including emails about your accounts or purchases.
Information Collection Choices
You can also make choices about the information we collect about you:
- Location Information – When you use a smart phone or other mobile device to access our websites, we may collect information about your physical location only if (a) "location services" for the mobile application is enabled; or (b) the permissions in the mobile device allow communication of this information. If you do not want us to collect your location information, you can opt out of sharing this information by changing the relevant preferences and permissions in your mobile device.
- Cookies – If you want to reject cookies, you must take action to select the appropriate settings in your browser. Each browser's cookie control is a little different, but the most common browsers (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari) have a preference or option you can select so the browser notifies you if a site wants to set a cookie and typically provides an option to accept or reject the cookie before the cookie is set. If you choose to remove or reject cookies, it will affect many features or services on our websites. If you want to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings, please use the Help menu in your browser.
In addition to adjusting the appropriate settings in your browser, advertising companies may collect anonymous information for advertising targeting purposes.
- Flash Cookies – We allow Adobe to set and enable special cookies that are necessary to deliver video content for Adobe Flash Player. You cannot remove Flash cookies simply by changing your browser settings. If you would like to limit the websites that can store information in Flash cookies on your device, you must visit the Adobe website.
- "Do Not Track" Technology – Some newer web browsers have a "Do Not Track" preference that transmits a "Do Not Track" header to the websites you visit with information indicating that you do not want your activity to be tracked. We currently do not respond to browser "Do Not Track" signals.
Changing Your Information or Deleting Your Account
If you want to change your information, cancel your account, or stop us from using your information, please contact us as described in the "Contact Us" section, below. We will make every effort to promptly respond to your request. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services or as required by law. If you ask us to delete your account, we generally retain and use your account information only as long as necessary to fulfill a business or law enforcement need.
How We Protect Your Information
Starbucks protects your information using reasonable technical, physical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risk of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of your information. Some of our safeguards include firewalls, data encryption, physical access controls, and administrative informational controls. When you transmit highly sensitive information (such as a credit card number) through our website or in one of our mobile applications, we encrypt the transmission of that information. While we have employed security technologies and procedures to assist safeguarding your personal information, no system or network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Use by Minors
We do not intend for our websites or online services to be used by anyone under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we may have collected information about a child, please contact us as described in the "Contact Us" section, below.
The Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 ("POPI") we need to look at the new POPI act
The following definitions are relevant in terms of POPI:
personal information, as defined in POPI, being information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to:
- information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e- mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person.
Processing, as defined in POPI, being any operation or activity or any set of operations, whether or not by automatic means, concerning personal information, including:
- the collection, receipt, recording, organisation, collation, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, alteration, consultation or use;
- dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form; or
- merging, linking, as well as restriction, degradation, erasure or destruction of information.
Starbucks will process your personal information. By registering on the website located at starbucks.co.za and/or the by downloading the Starbucks Mobile App (South African market), and by using any other websites owned and operated by Starbucks that direct the viewer or user to this Statement, you consent to your personal information being processed, as set out in this Statement.
You furthermore consent to Starbucks processing and transferring your personal information to a location situated outside the borders of South Africa and acknowledge that the countries in which such locations are situated may not have as stringent security measures in regard to the protection of your personal information as does South Africa.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
This Statement went into effect on the date noted at the top of this webpage. We may update this Statement from time to time. If we make material changes, we will post the updated Statement on this page and change the date at the top of this webpage. We encourage you to look for updates and changes to this Statement by checking this date at the top of this webpage. We will notify you of any modifications to this Statement that might materially affect the way we use or disclose your personal information prior to the change becoming effective by means of a message on this website.
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy. You can contact Starbucks Customer Service online at [email protected].